Monday, August 29, 2011

Anti-Art Films: Just as Much Fun as the Real Thing

Art films - why do we so quickly call them art while we so quickly call those in our local theaters trash? To be honest, I am seldom moved by a film I see at the local museum or gallery. Perhaps it is because I am preonditioned by the walls of paintings to have the attention span of a gold fish or perhaps it is simply because I don't want to watch someone push an ice block around a city street while a man bangs a gong.

Art films - it is as if the context of the local museum or gallery establishment is in it of itself enough to grant an object a profound existence that we then take in as viewers as a profound, art experience.

In the spirit of art-films, I have created a series of anti-art films that self-manifest the feel of a museum or gallery and ask you, the viewer, one question: does the content even matter? My film "The Wall" is available below. For a full listing, visit: www.youtube.com/artaboutus.

No comments:

Post a Comment