Monday, July 18, 2011

What is Art? Price, Venue, and Meaning

Don't for one minute think that price and venue don't influence meaning. Case and point: I hand you a plain piece of paper with my signature in the bottom right corner and I tell you that you can have it for 5 cents - a little more than material cost.

Paper with signature. Neat.

Now I hand you the same piece of paper and say it is worth 100,000 dollars. That piece of paper now takes on a different meaning. You think twice about it. Is it a one-of-a-kind commentary on society? Why is this worth 100,000 dollars? Surely there is something more to it!

Finally, someone had the nerve. "I get it."

That piece of paper sells for 100,000 dollars and makes it into a museum or highly esteemed gallery. Now location (and the fact that it sold) builds authority. What does the piece mean now?

This really represented our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment